Grilled Honey Soy Glazed Chicken


“When my food blog grows up it wantsto be just like _______________”

If you are a foodblogger, I know you can complete that sentence with 2-3 bloggers thatyou admire. Not that you want to replicate their voice or style butyou would like to be their peer in terms of an entertaining style,food knowledge, creativity, detail, and production quality.

For me, one of thoseblogs is Steamy Kitchen. Jaden is a food blogging rock star and sheis an example of how to engage your audience. Almost everything Iknow about food photography and styling, I learned either from SteamyKitchen, For The Love of Cooking, or SippitySup. [I hate todisparage their good names by associating them with myphoto/styling skills, ha ha.]

Earlier this week, I sawa recipe Jaden posted for Grilled Honey Soy Glazed Chicken and was making itwithin hours. 


Grilled Honey Soy Glazed Chicken
Servings: serves 4, 2drumsticks each
Prep Time: 5
Cook Time: 30

Recipe adapted by Steamy Kitchen fromSeattle Kitchen, A Food Lover's Cookbook and Guide by TomDouglas. The chicken can be replaced with fish or even vegetables,such as eggplant depending on your preferences.

Make Ahead: The marinade/glaze can bemade up to one week ahead of time and kept, tightly covered, in therefrigerator.

Sub your favorite Gluten-Free tamarisauce for the soy sauce if needed.

Ingredients:
FOR THE GLAZE:
1/4 cup Honey
1/4cup vegetable or peanut oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cupsoy sauce
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon red pepperflakes

FOR THE CHICKEN:
12 ChickenDrumsticks
lemon wedges for serving

Directions:
1) To make the marinade/glaze, whisktogether the honey, oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic and redpepper flakes.
2) In a baking dish, resealable bag or container,marinate the chicken in the glaze for 30 minutes.
3) Grill orbroil the chicken, medium heat, on both sides until the skin iscrispy and juices run clear or the internal temperature reaches 165degrees Fahrenheit, about 25-30 minutes. Be careful not to burn thethe chicken, the honey will char easily. Moving the chicken to acooler part of the grill, if grilling, or moving the chicken furtherfrom the broiler, may be necessary.
4) Serve chicken with asqueeze of lemon.

I added ¼ cup mirin, 1 tsp of mincedginger, 1 chopped green onion, and substituted lime juice becausethat's what I had. Also, I was using hefty bone in chicken breastsso I did a two stage cook.

The weather had been touch and go butwhen WBIR's Todd Howell said the last of the storms had pretty much moved through West Knox county, I pulled off the grill covers and lit ahalf chimney (about 3 quarts) of Kingsford.   Of course that made itstart raining again.


I grilled the breasts skin side downover direct heat at 350f for 4-5 minutes just to get some initialbrowning and grate marks. 

4-5 min is a guide, check them often so you don't burn them.

Then I moved them from over the coalsand skin side up. I topped them with the strained bits from themarinade and cooked them indirect until they reached 160f internal. TIP: When I cook breasts indirect, I like to make sure that theskinny, tapered end is facing away from the heat source so it doesn'tget all dried up.


Do the “indirect slide”
When grilling on a square grill likethis, I like to take out one of the grates so I can easily slide thefood closer to the coals as they start to die down near the end ofthe cooking time. For example:
Grate slid away from the coals when they are fresh and hot.
As the coals die and cool down some, slide the grate closer and closer to them. 

It took just over an hour for thesebreasts to hit 160f. I could have gotten them done faster by stayingdirect heat but I was inside stir frying and didn't want to burn thechicken. I then cut the meat off of the bone, sliced intomedallions, and drizzled them with some extra sauce.


The sweet slightly smoky chicken wasdevoured by adults and kids, it's a real crowd pleaser.

NASHVILLE FOOD BLOG FORUM
Speaking of Jaden...the Food Blog Forumis bringing its show on the road to Nashville, TN on Saturday,October 8th!   I am looking forward to being a sponge andabsorbing everything I can at this seminar. Some of the biggestnames in the business will be sharing information on everything aboutfood blogging. There is still time to register (I should know, I'mjust registering tonight, ha ha).

Click HERE to see the event schedule,more about the topics and presenters, and to register.

If you are going, please let me know sowe can make sure to meet in person.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment